Here is the step by step guide on how to setting GIMP for pixel art without any hustle. Pixil art is free to use. There is no charge for membership or trials. The drawing application is easy to learn and fun to use. Create animations, gaming sprites, icons and even draw online with friends.
Checkout Other GIMP Plugins for portable
How to Setting GIMP for pixel art
Let’s see how we can set up GIMP for pixel art; first, we have to
- Go to edit and choose preferences
- Then choose to scale and click on default interpolation, adjust it to none
- Now, we have to set all the tools to a threshold manually
- When you use pixel art, I advice don’t use these tools like brush tool, smudge tool or airbrush tool. I am suggesting not using this because these are not pixel art tools.
- So, what tools we should use, we should use only pencils and erasers, set to a hard edge.
- Please make sure both the pencil and eraser are set to 100% opacity as we don’t want any stray pixels to be there.
Bow we can change keyboard shortcuts easily, just by going to edit – preferences menu and going to the interface. If you are comfortable in PS here are some of the Best options
- Eraser – Just set it to E
- Pencil – you can set it to B, but for more convenient use, you can set it to N and Brush to B
- Rectangle selection – default is M
- Elipse selection – Default is shift + M
- Paintbrush – Default is shift + B
- Move – it is merely M
- Duplicate layer – default is command + J
- To select next layer – command + up
- Select the previous layer – Default is Comamd plus down
These are the basic settings of GIMP for Pixel art, now let us see some of the Best tips for pixel art on GIMP
- Always try to use the Lasso/marquees tools, to make a guide for easy boxes and basic. Shapes like circles and ellipses.
- You can copy-paste in pixel art because it is allowed, but in ordinary, you can’t copy-paste as it is not considered useful.
- If you do copy, don’t worry anyone to say anything.
- When you want to move only the selected area while you have pressed selection, use shift + ctrl + L to move only the selected region.
- Some people don’t know that we should never save pixel art as a jpeg file. It would be best if you always kept it as a PNG or a GIF. GIF is used when it’s an animation.
- So if all your lines are In one colour and you want to colour your lines press shift+O for colour range.
Pixel art is a very fine tool to handle and we can do wonders with it. Above mentioned points are some of the Best ways to run it efficiently and make the best out of it.