Here is GIMP DDS Plugins to download and how to install it in your portable GIMP. Checkout the full article for DDS Plugins with its features. DDS is a raster image extended onto DirectDraw Surface format, developed by Microsoft to store textures and environments in DDS format. GIMP is unable to create/convert/open files in DDS format by default. Thus, DDS plugins are used to get the task done.
This is a plugin for GIMP. It allows you to load and save images in the Direct Draw Surface (DDS) format. Load/save DDS files, optionally using DirectX texture compression (DXT) . Optional automatic mipmap generation when saving. Load cube map faces and volume map slices into separate layers.
- Load/save DDS files, optionally using DirectX texture compression (DXT)
- Optional automatic mipmap generation when saving
- Load mipmaps into separate layers
- Load cube map faces and volume map slices into separate layers
- Save cube maps and volume maps with automatic mipmap generation support
- Save image with a custom pixel format
- Non-power-of-two image loading and saving support with automatic mipmap generation support
- Compliant with DirectX 10 block compressed (BC) formats
Description of GIMP –
GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) is a free, open-source, cross-platform raster image & graphics editor. Extensively used for image format conversion, free-form image creation & editing, image retouching and ample specialized actions.
Download GIMP DDS Plugins
Download for 64 bit – Here
Download for 32 bit – Here
How to Install GIMP DDS Plugins
The problem might arrive due to the directory where GIMP is installed. Thus you should check beforehand installing GIMP. Also, GIMP 2.10.2 is a bit buggy, and we suggest you use GIMP 2.10.4, which is well adjusted.
- For best results along portability and flexibility being a 32 bit GIMP, you need the 32 bit gmic_gimp. Or you can download the type of gmic_gimp as per your systems requirements from https://gmic.eu/download.shtml which is their official website.
- Forgoing into the Plug-ins folder, Redirect to Edits????Preferences???? Folders????Plug-ins. It should look like: \GIMPPortable\Data.gimp\plug-ins
- After downloading the Zip of gmic_gimp, Unzip the file and save the folder name same as the Plugin and paste it in that directory. Which should look like this
- After you’ve pasted the unzipped gmic_gimp into its correct directory. Restart GIMP, open a new image and check its working now. As it does here.
Also Download Photoshop filter plugin (PSPI) for GIMP
Final Verdict –
GIMP is a great image editor available for free on the web. With such an easy conversion feature, you can convert any image into numerous image formats one being DDS. Getting DDS Plugins into action is not a hard task. But it needs a slight understanding of where to install GIMP portable or gmic so that the directories match perfectly and the software can take the plugins from the correct place.